I received this book for free from NetGalley.com . This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Virgin by Radhika Sanghani
Published by Penguin on 2014-08-05
Genres: Coming of Age, Contemporary Women, Fiction, General, New Adult, Romance
Virgin<img src="http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=booaholano0c-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00HFXK46U" target="_blank">Buy on Amazon
For those who grew up on Judy Blume—and graduated to Lena Dunham—a “hilarious”* debut... “Bridget Jones and Carrie Bradshaw, meet your wisecracking, vagina obsessed match. Sanghani's debut is a hilarious, irreverent look at smart-alecky, painfully self-concious, 21-year-old Ellie's relentless mission to rectify a disasterous first attempt at performing oral sex, get deflowered, find the perfect Brazilian wax, avoid her tradition-bound Greek mother's nagging, graduate summa cum laude, be a writer, and fit in...This story for millennials is a wonderful blend of modern agnst with old-fashioned sweetness.”—Publishers Weekly (starred review) “Even Bridget Jones’s Diary could take a page from this novel.
I really struggled to get to the halfway point in this book but that is where I started to actually like it so please be prepared for a very, very slow start.
Ellie is obsessed with the fact that she hasn’t turned in her V-plates and yet others around her seem to have had no issues with losing theirs. She’s now 21 and convinced that if she just got rid of that pesky virginity she would magically fit in. I found myself getting frustrated with her whining at the beginning of this book about how out of place she was and how much of her sex life, or lack of one, was due to an incident when she was 17. I admit to cheering her BFF on when she finally let loose on Ellie with stop the whole “wah wah wah” thing and live your life. I got that she was awkward but as someone who didn’t lose hers until she was 19 I couldn’t seem to be that sympathetic to this obsession.
Where the story made me enjoy it was with the many insane circumstances she ends up in as she tries to figure things out…
- The slipping in her BFFs one night stand’s cum in the tub… *snort*
- The experience with shaving down there and getting nicks that ummmmmm aren’t too comfy later… *giggles*
- The experience with getting waxed.. *I admit to smothering laughter here as damn that was funny*
- The experience with when she finally loses her V plates.. *yeah all of us have been there and had the momentary this is what people crave??? Really???*
- The experience buying condoms for the first time… *truly this can be embarrassing if you happen to work for the main drug store in town and it is the only place within walking distance of your apartment plus you don’t have a car*
- Computer volume getting stuck when watching a porno so she could learn how to give a BJ and handjob… *seriously this is what headphones are for*
- And this was my favorite part…. Mom walking in on Ellie using her computer to check out down there post wax…. *almost choked on the Diet Dew I was drinking*
Overall this is a slow story but the moments above made me laugh and while it was a tough read I’m glad I stuck with it. I think there are some decent things to take away from this story and the main one to me is…
Be yourself!!! Until you finally get comfortable with yourself and who you are (flaws and all) you’ll never be happy! It doesn’t take a man, perfect hair, perfect clothes, perfect body, etc to have a great life… It takes a sense of self and accepting that you might not be everyone’s cup of tea but you are just fine on your own two feet!
Special thanks to NetGalley.com and the team at Penguin for giving me the chance to read this. I’m glad I did even if it took me so long to do so!