I received this book for free from the publisher . This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The Unleashing by Shelly Laurenston
Published by Kensington on 2015-03-31
Genres: Action & Adventure, Fantasy, Fiction, Paranormal, Romance
Source: the publisher
The Unleashing (Call Of Crows)<img src="http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=booaholano0c-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1617735051" target="_blank">Buy on Amazon
Kera Watson never expected to face death behind a Los Angeles coffee shop. Not after surviving two tours lugging an M16 around the Middle East. If it wasn't for her hot Viking customer showing up too late to help, nobody would even see her die.
In uncountable years of service to the Allfather Odin, Ludvig "Vig" Rundstrom has never seen anyone kick ass with quite as much style as Kera. He knows one way to save her life--but she might not like it. Signing up with the Crows will get Kera a new set of battle buddies: cackling, gossiping, squabbling, party-hearty women. With wings. So not the Marines.
But Vig can't give up on someone as special as Kera. With a storm of oh-crap magic speeding straight for L.A., survival will depend on combining their strengths: Kera's discipline, Vig's loyalty... and the Crows' sheer love of battle. Boy, are they in trouble.
Okay I admit I fan girl over Shelly Laurenston… I really truly do. I even might fan girl over her wonderful, amazing, sweet, did I say amazing, publicist Vida who is always great about giving me ARCs of SL (BTW- there are never any strings to what I have to think or post on my reviews). I might’ve cried a bit when the announcement came out about the hiatus on The Pride series but I recovered a bit when I saw the announcement that The CROWS and RAVENS were being brought back to life in a new location and to create a new series. I loved the idea when it was originally presented and now that I can at least have this to get me by… well… color me happy.
Now to keep this from giving away spoilers…
Things you’ll love and laugh at:
- Brodie Hawaii – Kera’s dog gets some very ardent admirers and friends in this story which will lead to some quite humourous moments as Kera tries to keep the other Crows from taking over her dog. I also love what we get to see later in the book as it led to some of my favorite moments where I almost choked on what I was drinking. She’s such a fun character and you’ll love how this once abused dog finds her revenge.
- Kera’s initial impression of Vig when he frequented her shop. Seriously this was the funniest blow to an ego that I have read in a very long time, if not ever.
- The hypochondriac Crow
- The constant commentary from other Crows about Kera’s looks. Yes, this could be insulting but they are based in L.A. where comments like the ones they make are normal for those obsessed with being in the biz.
- Kera’s trip to Valhalla – Honestly I loved seeing this and admit that my reaction to the people she meets there would probably be the same. I mean… seriously…
- Vig’s reputation – I loved Vig and enjoyed how others saw him versus who he really is. He’s something else and his inability to control things going on in his house was funny to read.
- Erin – She’ll make you laugh as she struggles with how to handle Kera let alone how to be something she thinks she isn’t.
I appreciated this start to a new series and look forward to many more to come. The baddie in this will be something to behold as things evolve so get ready for the ride.
Oh and Vida… fair warning… there will be a few of us stalking you at RT just cause you are so awesome about feeding our Laurenston fix… 😉