I was struggling to come up with what to write about today when it struck me that everyone has things they are addicted to. I mean people instantly go to addictions that are bad for you along the lines of drugs or alcohol but there are addictions that can soothe the soul and those are what I am talking about today. So without further ado let’s see some of the things I am addicted to (mom/co-workers/friends need not reply cause you know these are some of my biggies):
1. This is a DUH one but I’m addicted to reading. I don’t care what the genre is I am game to at least attempt to read it. This is why I named the site Book-A-Holic Anon as I think we need to have a support group for those of us who will happily pass time with our noses buried in books. I mean what a better way to escape your troubles than reading about someone else’s or laughing as a man gives his ex a list that implies he wants to see her naked with little way to escape (If you haven’t read Shannon Stacey’s Kowalski series this is the time). Books also allow us to see alternate cultures and universes which for most people is the only way they will get out of their little corner of the world. My mom introduced me to sci-fi/fantasy when I was a kid and I still pick up books from Robert Heinlein and Issac Asimov to find myself transported to their dreams for an amazing future or dark one depending on the book.
2. I have a minor addiction to shoes. I say minor because I don’t have a dedicated closet to shoes and I am able to let them go when I buy new ones. I admit that this addiction is getting rather expensive because I can’t just buy the cheap shoes from places like Payless but I now have to buy brands like Dansko, Born, Birkenstock and Naot due to damage from a mistreated ankle injury. I go on binges where I pick up new pairs but I’m glad to know I’m not the only shoe addict out there as I watch discussions on my timeline.
3. I also have a slight addiction to purses but again I only have about a dozen so for an addict I’ve kept my collection small. I tend to prefer the classic styles in leather so I can use them for years to come rather than the fabric ones that might not make it that long without very visible damage. Limecello recently linked me to a site where I had to break down and buy a Hayden-Harnett but in my defense it was a normally $400 purse that I picked up for just over $100. 😉
4. I’m a bit of a food snob when it comes to brisket, steak, chili and Mexican food. I was raised primarily in Texas so the brisket, chili and Mexican food come from that upbringing. The steak snobbery comes from being born in Iowa (right across river from Omaha) and spending a lot of time in an area of the country where beef is revered. While I am now starting to enjoy more seafood my love for red meat will probably never dwindle and you better believe that nothing in my eyes beats a good steak unless it is one of my other listed snob foods. Now that I live in the Midwest again I’m constantly struggling to find Mexican food that hasn’t been “Midwesternized” for palettes that don’t like the spice level.
5. I love to cook/bake so tend to watch every cooking show known to man that I can. While I don’t cook a lot due to a weird work schedule I adore doing so and find it relaxing yet rewarding when others like what I make. I know my office can attest to enjoying it when I get an urge to bake and bring all the goodies in. This also leads to loving to buy kitchen gadgets so places like Sur la Table are on my must take a wide path away from in order to have a little bit of money left in my pocket.
So there are 5 of my addictions (yes I left Diet Dew off the list as I just wanted to share a few of them)…